"A complete and generous education fits a man to perform justly, skillfully and magnanimously, all the offices, both public and private, in peace and war." – Milton

This quote graces the cover of the book published in 1923 to commemorate the opening of Liberty High School. Reading through it's pages, it is remarkable to find the value the people of Bethlehem placed on education and the opportunity they saw it give to the children of the community. Bethlehem wanted a school that did more than just teach the "three R's," but gave students a solid foundation in, and an appreciation of the sciences and the arts.

At the ceremony in May of 1923, Liberty High School was dedicated to "the progressive spirit of the citizens of Bethlehem." At the opening of the school, Liberty was seen as "one of the greatest achievements of the City of Bethlehem," and designed to not only "further the well-being of youth" but also to stand as a "War Memorial, commemorating the valor of Bethlehem men who went to the front, the sacrifice of the heroic dead and the manifold contributions and productions of the city toward bringing the war to swift and just conclusion." Liberty High School was given its name to cement this War Memorial status.

The residents of Bethlehem set out to build a true community school, following the tradition of the Moravians who first founded the town, and built a school before the fledgling town was even a year old. The Dedication Book, re-published here thanks to the efforts of Liberty teacher and alum Mr. Ross Makary, goes on to document the educational history of the city of Bethlehem and the planning and building of Liberty High School. But building a school was not enough for the people of Bethlehem, they recruited a faculty from around the country, educational leaders in many fields, to provide the best education possible for the youth of the day.

Please take some time to read through this remarkable look at Liberty's History.

 

Graphic HR